June is Bike Month!
So your best bet to keep up with it all is the BEST bike month Calender, which tons of events listed, lots of detail, well updated.
There is also the Momentum Magazine Calender, some of which duplicates content.
The fearlessgearless drupal blog is shaping up to be a very well maintained and active hub of bike culture. Includes what you won't find as official bike month events. [though I still think fixies are bad for your knees] They have a phenomenal splash page currently.
All of this confusion is exactly why the Critical Mass and velolove website needs to be refashioned and organised so as we can keep things fresh and lively. Something very similar but a little more explicitly political than fearlessG and styled to be less cool and more inclusive. But we don't want to compete, we want to compliment. Unfortunately, it seems only Ryan, Ifny, Steve and I are into this velolove project at the moment - and all of us are too busy with our other lives to spare time for it right now, so that is on the backburner and the page isn't really being kept up.
special things we need to make happen here.
- Such as the important street reclaimation project of the car free commercial drive festival happening both Sunday June 17th, and Sunday July 22nd. They need your help now to make it happen.
- Five Ring Circus screening and wonderful work less party stuff. A sequel is already in the works!
- The Anti-Poverty Commitee keeps fighting the good fight but are getting slaughtered in the corporate media spin machine. The police are impersonating 24hour news reporters to muzzle them. This issue is important.
- The world naked bike ride, indecent exposure to cars - This Saturday!
- MCthree performance ride this friday the 8th.
- You Never Bike Alone DVD and reviews and upcoming screenings?
- Tuesday June 12th city hall is reviewing some bike lanes so you should speak up and support them.
- Hey, right now is Bike to Work Week with the Vancouver Area Cycling Coalition!
- On the 28th, Thursday night, is the ever popular Bike Shorts film night, but this year at the Van East Cinema! Presented by Freegeek Vancouver.
- And so very importantly, the June 29th Critical Massive is going to be H-U-G-E, finale for bike month. Last year there were 400 more than 3000 wheels. This year we may well get 3000 riders/skaters/whathaveyous. We are supposed to have some meetings to promote this ride and also to plan for it and plan some ways to keep such a ride sane with that size... Such as my keen idea of planning a route that goes on wide streets only and is led by parade float/4 wheel bike chariots etc. But I don't have the time to organise anything for that right now. Your best bet is to talk to people on velolove and get planning! We have lots of worried people to reassure. Also, I am going to make one float/love bike/ sound system thing to help lead the route to sensible street venues [single lane in just too small for thousands of bikes] and we need good corking instructions and ways of communicating the peaceful wisedom of experienced riders too the many new-comers that will show up.
Take care and take the lane!
Labels: event lists