CAR FREE DAY! --->sept.22
just one day
12 noon to 8 pm
on thursday, sept
22nd, vancouver, 2005
gas town, downtown ...come
TO CAR FREE IN VANCOUVER DAY!
this year is the first year
that we *w*i*l*l* . . . finally join
with 1,500 cities and 100s of millions of people
worldwide for CELEBRATING international car free day.
water street in *gas town* [sic] will be transformed.
into a traffic-free public streetscape with music, picnics,
famous entertainment, activities, exhibits, happy children
couches, tables and chairs.
please help us by spreading the word.
this is our first time.
we need to make it huge.
this is just ONE DAY but it is one of many around the world and many to
come. this is just one day but the journey is one step at a time, one by
one, footsteps falling. soon, after our resounding success draws mass
acclaim, we will expand. imagine a future, one day perhaps not so very far
away, when the streets will be safe and shared by all everywhere in a truly
livable city. an ideal dream that we all share of growth in the streets
instead of fear. we start this year in the centre only, in gas town, but
then again... one day!
- 11:30ish gather for opening parade [steam clock at cambie & water] please
- join in
- 12:00noon car free foot parade led by the carnival band open to all
- this is your street
- 12:15 music - carnival band and joey keithley
- 12:30 opening ceremonies with da mayor larry campbell
- 1:00 get your body moving artist - alpha yaya diallo
- 2:00 emerging talents: a chinese song and dance celebration
- 2:30 sound artist swank
- 2:50 take it easy: a fashion show for you and dat planet
- 3:20 artist - sparrow
- 4:00 artist - catlow
- 5:00 tony & tinas bicycle wedding
- 5:30 consider the journey a blessing for car free day
- 6:00 arteest - soulstream
- 7:00 artust - the parallels
- 8:00 bye bye. bike ride leaves
- 12:30, 2:00, 3:30 and 5:00 sfu philosophers café:
- vibrant street level discussions on sustainability topics.
ALL DAY STREET ACTIVITIES AND EXHIBITS
- sustainability information fair
- car part art exhibit in storyeum
- bmx free-style zone
- the car park car garden
- pedalplays pedalling zoo
- academie duello historical swordplay [two performances]
- climate-friendlier car park -- a fuelish efficienter vehicle display
EVENING PARTNER EVENTS
- *5:45 pm 9:00 pm. steamworks [375 water st.]green drinks - monthly networking/social event
- *9:00 pm onward. steamworks,car free day after party
put on by b.a.l.l.e. BC
[business alliance for local living economies]
*twilight ride slow paced bicycle ride
leaves 8 pm from the main stage
ONE DAY. ONE STREET. ONE REALLY FUN FESTIVAL.
car free day celebrates the social, economic and environmental benefits of reduced car use. it is one of the sustainability initiatives undertaken by the city of vancouver, presented in partnership with better environmentally sound transportation [best] and the gastown business improvement society.[gbis]
for more information,
including getting to the event in car-free style,
call 604.873-->7981 or visit www.carfreedayvancouver.caentertainment, programming & volunteer coordinator tel: Sean Elbe 604.430-->5307
cell: 604.307-->2599 em: seanelbe@@@@hotmail.. ..com