Vancouver Critical Mass

Mostly event announcements, news, and bicycle related activist opinions...
Download Critical Mass flyers and posters, or upload your own
Email vancouvercm~AT~gmail~DOT~com for a posting password
Yes, we ride the last Friday of every month!

19.4.11

come out! CALL TO EARTH ACTION on Friday, April 22

>    >  >  > > > >>>  please take some of your time to spread the word about this Friday, Earth Day action.

Hey all friends in creating a better world,


I am called to defend land this Earth Day & this weekend against another highway being pushed through.
This majestic river valley NEEDS US NOW!

Busses are leaving from Brittania oval at 2pm, this Friday, April 22. They'll take you to the direct action (planting trees) in Delta.
Many ways to be involved, not requiring arrest by any means. Come in creative solidarity, bring your strengths! Food, music, banners, cameras, organizing skills, etcetera.

***Reminder*** that there is also an awesome Earth Day Parade and Celebration (Youth4ClimateJustice created) on the Drive and at Brittania this Friday, which is why buses are leaving from there.

More info: please see http://stopthepave.org/


With great power, I stand for this earth.  J o i n   u s.
~RedSara




My thoughts on why this is important:

Having cycled through this beautiful delta and felt its contours,
witnessed its devastation, its birds, its power, salmon and life,
I feel strongly called to give what time, energy and spirit I've got to
CLEARLY REQUEST: Stop the South Fraser Perimeter Highway.
Building another highway to move crap goods from abroad does not meet my needs
for clean air, space for birds, a re-localized economy, healthy watersheds, accessible public transit, community process, local values,
and I could go on.
The roar of the SUV, of the 18-wheeler, of the exploitive reign of greed must be confronted.
We must speak truth from our hearts in the face of power.


As you know I mostly focus on creative projects. However, at times (remembering Claoquot Sound)
I believe the force of numbers must arise together to say what is important.

This weekends' blockade may begin small, we warriors and common folk
who understand earth and connection
may plant a few trees where forest has already been clearcut
to start the South Fraser Perimeter Highway.

It may begin small, but it is not small!
Knowledge has been building about this issue for 5+ years.
Lots of advance media has already happened for this upcoming action.
Great energy from many directions is coming together now, and we are all a part of it.

Respectfully,
~rSara



4 Comments:

  • At 7:39 pm, June 16, 2011, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I have seen last evening what a pattern of acceptance of law-breaking brings to Vancouver. I believe that your organization, when engaging in "corking" not only breaks the law but obstructs and intimidates others. Please understand that I feel the right of peaceful protest is sacrosanct and I engage in it myself but your organization, among others just does not understand where the boundaries are. To that end, I intend to write my MP and to the government of Canada to ask that your organization have the same classification as the International Sikh Youth Federation and the World Tamil Movement. It is nothing personal, it is just that the city of Vancouver seems unable to act in response to lawbreaking and you are a good a place to start as any other.

     
  • At 8:02 pm, June 16, 2011, Blogger Rusl Bicycle said…

    I don't normally publish off-topic posts and attempts at intimidation. But I thought this comment was so humorous I would allow it for the sake of levity.

     
  • At 8:21 pm, June 16, 2011, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Libby,

    First of all congratulations on your re-election. You work very hard for our constituency and you deserve it. I have had the opportunity to speak to you on many occasions and it is always a pleasure. I want you to know that I have supported NDP candidates in every single provincial and federal election save two (the usual two) since 1974. I will likely drop in to the 50 year celebration in Vancouver this weekend and have been at many such events. I am so delighted that the party that I identify with is now the official opposition and hopefully will soon form it's first national government!

    Well, that tells you something about where I am coming from when, after the international disgrace of the NHL Riot in Vancouver yesterday that I will be writing to ask the government of Canada (yes, the one led by Prime Minister Stephen Harper) to act. In particular, as someone who does engage in peaceful and legitimate protest and dissent myself, I would like an end to the coddling of the common criminal who breaks the law in an organized fashion and with no consequence to face charges, prosecution and imprisonment.

    There are many such organized bodies in this city but undoubtedly the largest is the one called 'critical mass.' It organizes it's members to obstruct the passage and interfere with and thereby intimidate other vehicles and that, by my estimate, is the basis of not passive dissent but of terrorism. The specific lawbreaking technique is called 'corking' and it not only breaks traffic laws but it encourages and teaches others to do so in an organized fashion.

    I believe that if the government of Canada was to classify this organization in the same category as the International Sikh Youth Federation or the World Tamil Movement, arrests would yield sufficient information that it would bring forward who was responsible for the damage occurring during the street riots in Vancouver on June 15, 2011.

    It is not that I have access to inside information, for I would have already freely and gladly shared it with the authorities but I believe that if you start with the largest group of organized lawbreakers, you will find information that will help prosecute all who would do willing, meaningful harm to society. I am no fan of rednecks, troublemakers, gay-bashers, spoiled/bored rich kids or thugs of any kind regardless of the pretense of an anarchist ideology. I would prefer criminals to be treated as such and believe this is the best place to start to break the power of organized thuggery in this city.

    I suspect you will disagree but loving you anyway,

     
  • At 9:02 pm, June 16, 2011, Blogger Rusl Bicycle said…

    Wow, even more. You should write for The Onion, Anonymous dude.

    I need to fix the website so I can put this stuff somewhere else. The StopThePave protests are important and shouldn't be distracted from by this stuff. Oh well, it's on my To Do list.

     

Post a Comment

Please be respectful and constructive. If you want to vent or hate do it somewhere else. Violent, threatening and abusive comments will be removed. Please read other posts and discussion to avoid duplicate questions.

<< Home